Who we are
We are simple, the best and only walking food tours in town.
Created and crafted by a group of foodies and chefs, Tomate Quesillo is the result of a 4 year research into the restaurant scene of San Cristóbal De Las Casas. Bringing together the local flavors and the high end restaurants of the city.
We strongly believe that the only way to meet and know a culture is by tasting the food and culinary expressions of his inhabitants. So in 2012 we start visiting every restaurant and local food place to meet and greet with the local “Mayoras” and chefs. As this process began, we encounter the freshness of the local products, the value of local creativity and the necessity of expressing this knowledge to the world.
We believe that the concept of San Cristóbal food is in his locals, and markets, in his own recipes and veggies, and most important in the people which everyday works in the kitchens to represent the best in town.
We know that there´s so much more than this city has to offer.
Our Tour Offer
A variety of food tours, all of which include the food and drinks. Each will include the visit of 5 to 7 destinations, according to the restaurant rules. Each of them are the result of a wonderful process to know the local flavors, textures and ingredients.
Mexican and Chiapas Gastronomy
As you get to know Chiapas, its own gastronomy will leave you speechless. Walking around to the best restaurants in San Cristóbal de las Casas will take you, on every bite, to a unique afternoon, while our team shares history and anecdotes of our city. Internationally renowned chefs and the local delicatessen are the core of this culinary experience, where the senses and our Pueblo Mágico guides you through the flavours and textures of our Mexican Gastronomy.
Duration: 3 1/2 hours
As we advance into the 5 to 7 stops in our tour, We will discover the flavours of the magical tortilla and all of his specialities. Between Panuchos and our beautiful Tacos we provide some history and anecdotes of our food, gastronomic traditions and the Pueblo Mágico of San Cristobal de las Casas. From Cochinita to Carnitas, Quesadillas to Gorditas the maíz is the main ingredient.to create a conjunction of tastes which will transform your evening into a great culinary experience.
Duration: 3 1/2 hours
We are very sorry to inform that due to the ingredients in Mexican Tacos, this tour is not recommended for Vegan or Vegerarian Diets.
The team of Tomate Quesillo had a wonderful idea to improve the live and work of those communites and cooperatives that create some amazing work in San Cristóbal de las Casas. THis tour will take you to the real producers of those handcrafts that are the insignia of our town and cultures.
Since this is a Social Tour, Tomate Quesillo will not profit from it, the cost will be to cover the transportation and Guide expenses. And be sure that we will not charge any feeds to the visit we will take you. This in order to reach our goal. TO give you the best of the city and improve the conditions of our people.
Also for every person that takes this tour, Tomate Quesillo will donate a fee to Cadena de Sonrisas Chiapas, A social entity that works to give information on all NGO´s that work improving our Chipas.
Victor ZentenoDirector of Possiblilies / Mupcow
Is the best way to honor the roots and flavors of our Pueblo Mágico
Rina GitlerDirector / Fundación Alma
Incredible gastronomic tour through six of the best places to eat in San Cristóbal de las Casas. Simply delicious. Knowing the history through the food is a great experience and with great company.
Johana TrujilloArts Marketing / Distrito Teatral
It´s a way to try different dishes and drinks of restaurants in San Cristóbal de las Casas. A nice way to get to know Chiapas food, meet people and make new friends as you walk from one place to another. I recommend it!
Frecuently Asked Questions
All you need to know
Come and join with your party
WHO SHOULD CONSIDER PRIVATE GROUP TOURS?
Tomate Quesillo Walking Food Tours are one of the top things to do in San Cristóbal de las Casas, so why not enjoy a tour with a great group of friends, family and colleagues.
Private group tours with Tomate Quesillo Walking Food Tours are a perfect event for:
Team Building Functions
Large Friend & Family Outings
New Employee or Intern Socials
Singles & Networking Groups
Weekday/end Group Activity
Culinary & Cooking Groups
Bachelor & Bachelorette Wedding Parties
Bridal or Baby Showers
Grade/High School & College Field Trips
PRIVATE GROUP TOUR INFORMATION
Please read the following information carefully before contacting us in the form Below.
All logistical details will be agreed upon ahead of time by the private group tour organizer and Tomate Quesillo Walking Food Tours.
- Minimum Participant Requirements: The minimum requirement is 8 people.
- All private group food tours are approximately 3.5 hours in length and cannot be shortened.
- Private group tours are the exact same experiences as the Public Tours only in a private setting.
- The best private group size is from 8 to 12 people. Larger groups can be split and escorted by different guides.
- Smaller groups are possible but pricing is based on a minimum group size of 8.
- Each food tasting and cultural walking tour highlights classical food establishments and their specialties, including the history, culture, architecture and local entertainment and restaurant offerings.
- Weekday private tours are generally easier to book than weekend tours.
- It is very important to arrive 20 minutes prior to your group’s departure time.
- Tomate Quesillo Walking will try to accommodate any particular requirements or dietary restrictions of your private group event.
- Private Group Food Tours are held rain or shine.
PRIVATE GROUP PRICING AND RESERVATIONS
- Private group tour tickets are sold at the same price as Public Tours. A tour guide gratuity fee of 15% will be included in your total cost and provided directly to your tour guide(s). No refunds are given for no-shows or cancellations.
- Private Group Tour tickets that are sold less than 15 days from agreed tour date require full payment to hold a specific date, tour route and time.
- Private Group Tour tickets that are sold more than 15 days from agreed tour date require a $240 USD ($3,000.00 MXP) non-refundable deposit per a minimum of 8 persons paid via credit card to hold an agreed upon date, time slot(s), and tour guide(s).
- Final headcount and remaining balance (non-refundable) paid via credit card are due 10 business days prior to the event.
- Once purchased, all tickets and payments are non-refundable and cannot be rescheduled.
To complete a Private Group Tour Request please write us to firstname.lastname@example.org and a representative from Tomate Quesillo will contact the Tour Organizer within 1-2 business days.